Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Fishing on the Deep Blue...

My first deep sea fishing adventure.  Bright and early in Haleiwa, Hawaii aboard the "Grand Slam"... our captain and his side kick were nice.  We headed out to catch our bait and right off the bat saw many humpback whales, it was awesome!  Then we saw several sharks around our boat. Freaky Friday. Payton thought it was really cool.  Not far into the journey, however, Payton turned a shade of yellow/green and he spent most of his time with his face overboard or in the chum bucket.  Poor kid, he literally puked for 8 hours.  I felt bad but was impressed with the way he handled it. He was tough and didn't break down.

The first hit was crazy!  All the lines started zipping at the same time and we all hopped on a pole and started reeling in, I couldn't believe it.  Jeannie pulled in a huge mahi and the rest of us got tuna. It was such a rush!  I loved every minute.  Danny and I were able to find our "happy spots" on the boat and didn't get sick. I mean I had my moments but with my deep breathing and my oils, I was able to get through it.  And when that line started pulling, I was up and at em.  Mike, on the other hand, was also a bit ill and he spent quite a bit of time on the couch inside. lol. About half way through, we lost Jeannie to the puke and she and payt hung out together over the side of the boat for the rest of the afternoon.  Of course, Greg was gut of steel. No problem.

On the way back in we saw more whales, which I just loved. I'm a bit OCD about it.

We caught a LOT of fish. We were able to take 50 pounds home so we had a big fish fry the next night.  Kate and Andy were in town and Sheila and Keoni came over and we had mahi and tuna in many forms.  It was a lot of fun

Overall, a great day.  My father in law was super impressed and I think I stepped it up a few notches in his book ;)  Never a bad thing... giving Miss Jeannie a run for her money.  She's always been the favorite. 

I had a super fun time.  Can't wait to go to Alaska someday and see the Orcas.