Thursday, January 24, 2008

Words to the song...

I mentioned the song my Uncle Todd and Aunt Jill sang and I guess it's been running through my mom's head too, because she emailed me the lyrics today. I just thought I would post them so I can look back and read them and for any of you that might have known my Grandpa...you will understand why the words touched us so much.

Homeward Bound

In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing and the sky is clear and red.
When the summer’s ceased its gleaming,
When the corn is past its prime,
When adventure’s lost its meaning,
I’ll be homeward bound in time.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow.

If you find it’s me you're missing, if you’re hoping I’ll return.
To your thoughts I’ll soon be list’ning, and in the road I’ll stop and turn.
Then the wind will set me racing as my journey nears its end.
And the path I’ll be retracing when I’m homeward bound again.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow.

In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing,
I’ll be homeward bound again.

-Music and Lyrics by Marta Keen

8 comments:

Kateastrophe said...

Hi Sarah! It's Kate Cotter and it's been FOREVER. I stumbled on your blog today and I was so touched by this. My stepfather passed away five years ago in March and this is the song Julia Patch and I sang at his funeral. It's so amazing and beautiful and I'm very sorry for your loss.

So, um, we both live in the Phoenix area! How weird is that?! Your family is beautiful and you look so happy and I'm so glad!

Angie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather, Sarah. I'm sorry about your loss.

Amy and Clark said...

I still choke up reading these lyrics and find myself singing them all the time. Have you had a chance to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir version yet?
Love you, cuz.

Katie said...

I love this song. And it is so appropriate with President Hinckley's passing. Remember when we listened to "the Be's" talk in Mexico?

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. It truly is a bittersweet experience. I love your tribute.

TheTandyFamily said...

Sarah!
I'm glad that you found our blog! It actually made me contemplate making it private!:) It's so fun that all of us can keep in touch and see what everyone is up to. I was happy to see your beautiful children and that you were doing so well. Good luck with your current pregnancy and don't be a stranger!

Josh

P.S. I was sorry to hear about your Grandfather. One thing that I learned with the passing of my brother John was the only way to take the sadness out of death is to take love out of life (see D.C 42:45) which would not make life worth living. Thus, being sad just shows how much you loved someone and our mourning becomes a tribute to their lives.

Mother of Three said...

Okay so I was playing the blogger game where you click the links of your friends friends and happened to find you guys! I actually grew up with Mike a long time ago in Antioch! We were in the same primary/sunday school class. Anyway, cute family! Congrats on the new baby coming. Three is really a lot of fun, but crazy as well! Tell Mike and his family hello for me! Jacey Hill (Urrutia)

Natalie said...

Hi Sarah! It's Natalie Hatt Call. I have been wondering what you are up to. I just happened across your blog tonight. I was so happy. I am sorry about your loss. You have such a beautiful family. I am excited to catch up.

The Scotts said...

Hi Sarah. This is Shanon, I am Amy's favorite friend. I was just blog hopping and found your blog. Your kids are so adorable and your little girl is such a Vanstinkeste!

I'm sorry to hear about you Grandpa. That song was one of my Mom's favorite's too and after she passed away it meant a lot more to me. You should get the Mormon Tab's CD Love is Spoken Here. It is number 6 and they do a beautiful version of it.