Sunday, May 06, 2007

Service Makes A Smile :)

I want to post a bit about our last primary activity. Though, I tend to make myself physically sick with all the planning and carrying out of these things, this one was such a success and I think the kids really loved it, I wanted to share. We did a service project for kids at the Child Crisis Center here in Mesa. We asked families in the ward to donate to our cause for about a month prior to the activity. We gathered items for birthday kits, summer fun kits, hygiene kits, and fleece blankets. At the activity, we had a lot of the "smile" theme going on (smile balloons, smile fruit snacks)...to emphasize that their service would bring smiles to the faces of other children. We had a snack right at the beginning because it was right after school, then we watched a brief video on humanitarian aid and the church, then split into groups and completed 5 stations of service (the 5th was service coupon books to use on their own family members). We tied it up with smiley faced cupcakes and sent them on their way. My biggest joy came on Sunday when a child prayed for the "kids we helped" in opening exercises. And then my joy was topped off when my Payton watched the "American Idol Gives Back" and as he watched all the footage of kids in Africa and Louisiana, he was convinced that the good things that were coming to those children were all because of our primary and the service we rendered. He even thought he saw a teddy bear given to a girl that he picked out himself. Tears filled my eyes as I saw a transformation in Payton. When we started gathering donations and even at the activity, the concept of giving away this FUN stuff was very difficult. He wanted to keep his summer fun kit terribly. But he changed...and he was just happy he could give that teddy bear to that little African girl! The next night he made tickets and invited us all to his "service party" in his room. Some of the Primary Presidency dropped the donations off at the Child Crisis Center and they were very thankful and said they truly were in need of these special kits. I just wanted to share a bit of my excitement in regard to this activity! It's over and that's the best part!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

That made me cry. Could have something to do with the fact that it's 2 am and I am at work, but what a sweet experience! I just love it when they learn what you are trying to teach them!

Kristine said...

Thats awesome, Sarah. I'm glad that the kids had a good time and everything went well. Now I can say that I know what your talking about when you say phisically sick when planning one of those. I was done with the last one and felt Like I had run a marathon! It was so much fun though. I really can't wait for the next one!