Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I left my heart.

I think I managed to surprise Mike with his Christmas gift this year, folks. It gave me MAJOR anxiety, but I planned a little trip to SanFrancisco. He grew up in Antioch {about 30 miles away} and hadn't been back since they moved like 15 years ago! I hadn't been since about that age too when we went as a family {Jared was a baby}. And it really was a wonderful couple getaway trip. We realized that we hadn't really been on a trip without friends or kids for like 9 years! what? yes...it was due time. We had a great time.
Here's our trip in pictures...


{Friday-New Years Day} We arrived into Oakland, rented a car and drove to SanFran. Checked in to our hotel at Fisherman's Wharf. Then we walked and walked. We had crab & more crab! We went on a bread tour at Boudin's {just for you pop}. We walked to Pier 39. Later we drove down Lombard street, went to see Coit tower and then back to the hotel for a little rest. Then out to dinner in China town...it was a little rainy and just beautiful down town. We ate at a small chinese place we were recommended to go to and it was off the chain delicious! Definitely suggest House of NanKing, people! Then we hustled to Market Street past Union Square and saw Wicked at the Orpheum theatre {thanks G & J}. I had seen it a few years back, but I liked it even better the second time around. I only had to wake Mike up once ;) He said he liked it too. It was a wonderful way to start the new year!











{Saturday} we woke and had breakfast at a yummo little place "hollywood cafe" {thanks, yelp.com} then we just drove around. We went to Golden Gate Park, saw the "painted ladies", drove throuagh gay central {oh my goodness}, had lunch with a friend, dessert at ghiradhelli square {AMAZING}! Then we went on a night tour of Alcatraz. It was sooo interesting and a little creepy. We made a little stop back at Boudin's for a late night bread bowl & chowder. yum!


ok, let's be honest...he still did quite a bit of this :)







{Sunday} left our hearts in SanFran. Drove out of town and literally minutes out of the city, to beautiful hillsides and foggy valleys. We went to Walnut Creek and with Mike's elephant like memory and the little known device called the I-phone, we tracked down Granny & Pop's old house in Walnut Creek. We also went to Mike's house in Pittsburg and then on to Antioch. We saw the old house on Chelsea Ct. and then made a little stop at Belshaw Elementary. It was a walk down memory lane for Miguel and it was really fun for me to see his old stomping grounds. Then to Oakland...a few minutes at the temple {fyi. you have to drive through the ghetto to get there} and then to the Oakland Coliseum to watch the Ravens smash the Raiders. I could do without the Raiders fans...they are ruthless. It was fun to watch the Ravens play :) We got to visit with some of the players & their families after the game. Then off to the hotel and out to dinner {more crab}. We flew home Monday morning....picked up the kids and drove to St. George. Then bombed home Tuesday.
Thanks to A & J for keeping Payt and my mom for keeping our girls


11 comments:

Caroline said...

What a fun trip. Sean and I went on our honeymoon to San Fran, so seeing all of those pics brought back fond memories! We went to a Raiders game too, and those fans are a sight to see. Just a few rows up from us a guy got arrested for smoking pot, and another for starting a fight.

Ketsy said...

I am so glad the surprise worked out! What fun for a get-away. Happy 9 years!

Taryn said...

that sounds like a super fun PACKED trip! wow you did a lot of things! but without kids to tote around it's amazing what you can do :)

jenna said...

love all the updates ess. impressive.

Amy C said...

You make blogging 100 pics look so easy! Good work!! You left your heart in SF but mine is still at the Ranch! I (heart) you, Ranch!

Amy and Clark said...

So fun! Props to you on planning such a fun getaway for the two of you. My mouth is watering after reading about all the yummy things you ate. Looks like you covered all the San Fran essentials--minus the Full House house :)

Katie said...

You guys are quite the travelin' fools! What a sweet trip...i'll admit that jealousy did enter my mind. :)

Good to hear from you via blogging commentary. I was seriously thinking about you like the day before. Dang BJ Penn was wrestling and I of course announced to Gary that Mike got to train with him in Hawaii...what the..And I am proud of you for working. I need to transfer my liscence still...should probably get on that one of these days.

P.S. I got the Christmas card and LOVED it! You really have a muchi bonita familia.

ashlee said...

Wow, it looks like you guys had so much fun. My Michael and I need to take a trip. Maybe A and J (I'm assuming Andrew and Jenna) need to watch our kids :-)

Tiffany said...

Looks like a great time. I love just getting away alone with hubby. Reminds me why we fell in love and I find yes, I still like him... =)

ashlee said...

So seeing as how you haven't updated this for awhile I don't know that you will check this any sooner than your FB but check your FB for a message from me. I have a great idea. :-)

Hani and Amanda said...

Hi! I'm Amanda Shabana and I know that you don't know me, but I know your brother, Elder Rammel. He joined us for dinner tonight at our home. He's a wonderful missionary and we are very blessed to have him serving here in Roanoke, VA.